We Provide The Necessary Care & Attention
Although we hope to avoid the extraction of a tooth, sometimes it is necessary if the tooth cannot be saved by a root canal or other dental procedure. Usually performed under local anesthesia or general/IV sedation, teeth extraction in Phoenix does not require an overnight stay in a hospital.
Our team of qualified dentists and professional staff will help save your tooth or provide the necessary care and attention needed if an extraction is required.
Common reasons for tooth extraction in our greater Phoenix area offices include broken or decayed teeth, abscessed teeth, or any tooth that cannot be restored. Recovery from a removal is based on your health and the number of teeth extracted.
Special dental tools used to extract a tooth and its root are called elevators (to lift the tooth out) and dental forceps (to rock the tooth back and forth until it loosens). You won’t feel anything but pressure when you have a tooth extracted because a powerful numbing agent blocks nerve pain in the socket and gum area surrounding the tooth.
Following teeth extraction, our dentist will insert a “bite pack” or wad of gauze into the empty socket and ask you to bite down on the gauze. This stops the bleeding and allows a blood clot to form in the socket.
Recovering From Teeth Extraction in the Greater Phoenix Area
To prevent dislodging the blood clot after having your tooth pulled, you will be instructed to:
- Avoid touching the empty socket with your tongue or finger
- Avoid strenuous activity
- Avoid rinsing your mouth out vigorously
- Avoid using a straw to drink liquids
- Avoid smoking for 24 to 48 hours
Following teeth extraction, your jawbone (alveolar bone) will slowly re-absorb the area surrounding the socket to compensate for the lost tooth. Neglecting to replace a lost tooth may cause rotation and “drifting” of your adjacent teeth over the gap. Consequently, one of our dentists will want to discuss teeth replacement options with you after an extraction procedure, such as bridges, dental implants, or dentures.
The best option for you will depend on your particular case. If, for instance, you have multiple teeth extracted, you may want to discuss options for dentures, which we can customize for your mouth to create a perfect fit. Dental implants make a good alternative for those who have had just one tooth removed, and they’re ideal for people of all ages, while bridges may prevent other teeth from becoming loose near the area of your initial tooth extraction.
Wisdom Teeth Extraction in the Greater Phoenix Area
Wisdom teeth are usually the last to come in and are located in the back on both top and bottom of your mouth. Inadequate space usually makes it difficult for these teeth to come in properly. If this happens, our dentist may refer to these teeth as being impacted. Impacted teeth can lead to pain, infection, and even damage to other teeth.
There are several types of impaction:
- Soft tissue impaction: The tooth is covered by only soft tissue. This area may become infected because it is difficult to remove debris and keep it clean.
- Partial bony impaction: These teeth are partially out, but there is a portion that is still below the bone. Again these teeth may also be prone to infection.
- Complete bony impaction: These teeth are completely covered in bone and can be difficult to remove.
Teeth extractions in the greater Phoenix area are common and are performed under local anesthesia. For difficult cases, a specialist might use intravenous (IV) or general sedation for dental surgery. The surgery is outpatient and does not require an overnight hospital stay. Following any extraction, one of our dentists will give you specific home care instructions for how to best care for the area.
If you have any questions about the care or recovery process after wisdom tooth extraction, you can get in touch with our office to discuss them and get answers. We can advise you on your options. Removing these teeth will prevent them from damaging other healthy teeth in your mouth.
For those impacted by the extraction of teeth, AZ Family Dental has a number of cosmetic dental procedures to bring back your confidence. You can count on us for expert dental extractions and dental implants in Phoenix and the greater area. Your smile says a lot about you. Feeling good about your teeth can show others you feel good about yourself. Getting the right dental extractions will encourage you to do that.
Why Contact AZ Family Dental for Your Tooth Extraction in the Greater Phoenix, AZ Area?
Our dental offices have been assisting residents in the area for years with everything from extractions and root canals to implants. Our motto is “modern dentistry done right,” and that’s exactly what patients receive when they come to our office. We’re always looking for smarter, more efficient ways to do things, and we stay ahead of new developments to ensure our patients get the best possible dental care.
What sets AZ Family Dental apart from other dentists you could visit in the great Phoenix, AZ area? We stand out in many ways, particularly for our:
- State-of-the-art equipment: Dr. Parker believes in investing in your care, and that means adding modern equipment to our office that will help deliver treatments in less time and with less discomfort for those in the chair. We research new dental apparatuses and order those we feel would provide our patients with the biggest benefits.
- Expert use of dental technology: Strides in dental technology are made every day through research and testing. We stay informed about all these developments and adopt the ones we believe our patients can get the most out of. Part of our job is staying informed about ways we can better help you, so we advocate reliance on any proven technology that makes procedures or recovery easier, such as 3D dentistry.
- Years of experience: With degrees from the best schools and years of assisting patients just like you, our dentists have seen many unique and interesting cases that inform their advice on treatment options and preventive care. They’re also part of the greater Phoenix, AZ area communities and understand the unique needs of patients from these areas.
AZ Family Dental embraces the word family. We have families of our own, we care about your family, and we consider our practice one big family. We can aid you with your dental issues or improve your comfort level through tooth extraction, dental implants, or our other services, and we’re eager to do it.
Frequently Asked Questions for Dental Extractions
During a tooth extraction, one of our dentists will use an oral sedative to eliminate any pain from the procedure. You may feel some pressure or pulling as the tooth is removed, but you shouldn’t feel pain.
Oral sedatives are designed to make tooth extractions painless regardless of the tooth being pulled. However, the most extensive procedure is the removal of the wisdom teeth. You shouldn’t feel any pain during the extraction, and you will feel incredibly sleepy from the numbing sedative and likely won’t remember the procedure.
Wisdom teeth are the most difficult to extract due to their position at the back of the mouth, their size, shape, surrounding tissue, and the use of more potent oral sedatives.
Most people will recover from a tooth extraction within a few days and be able to return to their regular routines. That said, it depends on the complexity of the procedure. The jaw may take one or more weeks to heal, and you may experience discomfort during this time.
The nerve is what’s causing the pain and sensitivity when a tooth is infected. Because of this, the nerve and damaged tissue are removed from inside the tooth during an extraction to eliminate the discomfort and opportunity for an infection to spread.
Our Dental Office Locations
Same and Next Day New Patient Appointments Available!
8519 N 59th Ave, Glendale, AZ 85302, United States
28255 N Tatum Blvd Suite 4, Cave Creek, AZ 85331, United States
1820 W Thunderbird Rd suite 1, Phoenix, AZ 85023, United States